Remote Sensing Data Processing
- Preliminary remote sensing data processing
- Analysis and interpretation of remote sensing data
1. Radiometric correction is used to correct the image noise produced by the sensor, imaging device and environment of radiation propagation (atmosphere).
2. Geometric transformations are applied to correct the distortions of the image plane that can be caused by optics errors, sporadic changes of altitude and platform flight velocity – carrier of remote sensing system, lines displacement in the course of generation of non-photographic (scanned, television etc.) image in order to enhance the images alignment accuracy at their correlation processing, complex images synthesis etc.
3. Data representation. As to the palette, the images can be black-and-white, color and pseudocolor ones. Depending on the form of representation the image signals can either be analogue or digital; and the image file can either be stored in raster or in vector formats. One of the goals of preliminary processing is to ensure the required form of image representation, and in case of need to ensure the transformation (conversion) of the image from one form of representation into another.
4. Imagecompression. The image compression is used when there are frequency limits of transfer channels, limited memory capacity of computers, requirements to processing speed and video information analysis.
5. Image improvement. The main purpose of image improvement is to emphasize, to make more distinct those elements of the image that are analyzed in the first place and on the basis of which decisions are made. Most often, it implies the improvement of visual rendering of the image; however, if the results of remote sensing are analyzed not by a man but by any automatic device, the improvement relates to coordination (adjustment) of image properties with the characteristics of the analyzing device.
Analysis and interpretation of remote sensing data